February 26, 2009

Foray Into Film??

So, a couple of weeks ago, I got an email from an acquaintance (those of you who have followed this blog since it's inception will know this acquaintance as "bad cop"). The email was sent to me as well as about 8 or so others regarding a short film project that was looking to cast 2 females, one in her late 20's and one in her mid 30's. I am all of those things. I read the email with interest and didn't do anything with it because I am:

  • Not Photogenic
  • Terrified of Cameras
  • Unable to Make My Face do what I Want it to Do
However, upon further thought, I decided to reply with interest. People find it odd that I loathe public speaking but love performing on stage. I try to explain that there is a world of difference between being "yourself" in front of an audience and being "someone else." I thought that perhaps it's possible that acting in front of a camera is that same world apart from having a picture taken or giving an impromptu performance on film at a wedding reception. A few days later, I heard from the person who is directing the film and read through the script and decided that it wouldn't hurt to ride the wave as far as it would take me - I replied that I would love to be considered for either female. I thought better of making the presumptuous observation that I am on the old side of ideal for the younger character, and the young side of ideal for the older...but I will make that presumptuous observation here, in private, on the World Wide Web.

Today, I got an email from him letting me know that I'm scheduled to read for it at 10 AM on Saturday. So, that's exciting. I really don't expect anything to come of it (see bullets above), but man, what a great opportunity. If any of my readers are the praying sort, if you could pray that my body and my brain would cooperate with each other at the audition, I would be much obliged.

In old theater news, the connections are starting to happen and I am so grateful. I had a moment yesterday driving home where I prematurely mourned the end of the run...and that's a good thing. I think about the rest of the cast a lot (too much, I suppose) and really look forward to seeing them next...which makes it crummy that our rehearsal for tonight was cancelled (stupid snow) and we don't have a rehearsal again until Sunday. My hubby, however, is happy to have me at home for once...and I can't say I blame him. I'm nice to be around. Did I say that out loud? He's nice to be around too...the best really.

I am starting to wonder if theater for me has less to do with acting and performing, that with making new friends, or, failing that, meeting new people. I Googled "can an introvert become an extrovert" and learned that no, it isn't possible. But if it weren't for the Internet, I would swear that's what is happening to me. Every time a rehearsal ends and people grab their coats and run for the doors, I think, "Come on guys, let's hang out some more." All of our rehearsals so far have been Sundays through Thursdays...school/work nights for the educated and employed; maybe we will hang out some more once we are together on a Friday or a Saturday night. Or maybe I'm weird.

1 comments:

Claudia said...

Jessica, I will send good vibes, thoughts and prayers on Saturday. And I think theatre really is about all those connections- onstage with the audience, your fellow castmates, in the wings waiting to connect and giving each other positive energy fields and then later off - because you are bonded by a shared experience.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing