March 31, 2009

Bits and Pieces

The show has come to an end. It is always bittersweet - sweet in the friendships forged and the rest that follows, bitter in the goodbyes that, whether we admit it at the time or not, are inevitably forever. This show was different that the previous two that I have done in the last year in that while genuine connections were made, and a cohesive acting unit was formed, the parting of ways felt relatively painless...as though it was just time to go on.

The short film is still going ahead as planned, with some minor recasting, consisting of, to my absolute delight, a dear friend that I made in the play we just closed. AND, to add to that delight, it is looking incredibly probable that Perfect Friend will be filling another recently vacated role! That piece is not completely set in stone, so we aren't celebrating just yet. But oh boy! Wouldn't that just be something?

Also, I auditioned tonight at a new (to me) theater. They are doing a play written by my dear Agatha Christie, and I had so hoped to audition, but wasn't able to make it to the official auditions. A few days after auditions were held, a friend mentioned that the director was interested in seeing additional actors at her callback, and suggested that I call her, which I did. The director was very candid in letting me know that she had called back several women, and was primarily interested in seeing more male actors, which made perfect sense to me. I think that for every role out there for women between 25 and 40, there must be at least 20 women vying for it. But, she said that she always likes to have a lot of options and as she had never heard me read, I was welcome to come and read at the callback. So I did. I almost didn't, but I did. And I'm so glad I did. I saw one of my new dear friends from the last play, and an old friend from the Agatha Christie one-act I was in last August; and I met a new director who seems like a really tremendous woman, and I got to get over the enormous intimidation factor that this new (to me) theater has always instilled in me.

Another audition looms on Saturday, this one is for a 10 Minute Play Festival, and promises to be an entirely new experience. The 10 Minute Plays are all original new plays (as far as I know) being performed for the first time. I can't really figure out how to prepare for this one, so I guess I'll just go and see what happens. If I can keep auditioning like this, maybe I won't even need to be in another show.

3 comments:

T. James Belich said...

I hope your audition tonight went well! I will be auditioning for the 10-minutes on Saturday as well, so will see you there.

allie said...

You are getting to be so daring!! I'm so proud of you and all your exploits. Is that the right word?

Kate Sandvik said...

Jess- I was going to audition for the ten minute play festival too, but i decided that I am too busy. Good luck, you'll have a good time. I auditioned last year, you too Jim!

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing