January 20, 2009

The Audition - January 20

This audition had the most people by far of any audition I have been to and I found that to be oddly comforting. Somehow it is easier to have realistic expectations when I see with my own eyes just how many people are vying for the few available roles.

The evening's adventure began at 4 when I got off work. Auditions were held between 6 and 10 so I was going to pick Perfect Friend up at about 7. Well, I was actually going to get to her house at 6 so we could have ample time to critique our outfits and gush over each others hair and whatnot. I was certain that nothing in my closet was quite appropriate and so thought it of the utmost importance to stop off at Target on my way home from work in hopes of scoring a miraculous role winning sweater or something. I left Target with sushi and coffee. Actually, I left Target with an empty sushi tray and a half empty cup of coffee. When I got home, I found that I actually did have some suitable somethings to wear and so I put a few of them on and threw some others in a bag to take with to PF's house. Then I spent an exasperating half hour trying to update my resume and print a picture of my glorious head. Then, properly primped, I left for PF's a fashionable half hour late.

We oohed and aahed and all the appropriate things, and left for the audition. On the drive, to help distract us from the nervous nonsense going on in our digestive tracts, we listened to Voice Lessons to Go on the iPod and tried to sing scales of Ma Meh Mi Mo Moo...but found that we were too nervous to be effectively distracted. So we practiced "bawdy laughter" which gave way to real laughter...the real kind is much more fun.

When we got to the theater, I think we were both overwhelmed at how many people were there. I also think we both felt the same sort of relief...it seemed very possible that we could just have a good time auditioning and be very okay with not being cast. There were just so many people, that though we could certainly hope, we had no business being overly confident. To my great delight, a couple of people from a play I was in previously were there to audition as well, and it was fun to see them and introduce them to Perfect Friend (though, I did not introduce her as such!). We were given some scenes to work on...and were inevitable split up.

There were three of us who were brought to the stage to read together...it was a two person scene - one man and one woman, so the ladies took turns with the man. I was asked to read first. It felt good...I LOVE the part. The director stopped us once and gave a few notes and then had us start again. I think I followed the directions well...though of course it could have been better. Then we were stopped and the other woman came up to read while I watched. She was very good, too. I love getting to see how other actors choose to play a scene or a character. When we were all done reading the scene, the director told us that she hardly ever holds callbacks, but that they would be on Thursday if needed. If we don't hear from her by Monday, we know that we have not been cast. Then we were dismissed.

I mentioned to the director that I also was hoping to read for another part. She said, "I would only want to see you read for (this role). You're too young (for the other role). And you're too pretty." Rats.

3 comments:

T. James Belich said...

Jessica, I'm glad to hear that the audition went well, and I'm hoping that soon there will be another Greenie in a show to go see!

Claudia said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Jessica said...

Thanks guys! It's very possible that I might have blown the audition for NOT being able to read WITHOUT an accent! It was the strangest thing...I have the hardest time reading this character without a southern accent...it's so silly. I wanted to say to the director, "Really! I can do this without a southern accent!" Of course, during Greens, Todd told me my southern accent was really good (I was not using a southern accent). Maybe being on stage turns me into a southern belle with an identity crisis. Weird stuff.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing