January 12, 2009

The Continuing Adventures of PF and Me

And so there is another audition on the horizon. Next week in fact. I think I will opt to not mention the name of the show on the off chance that a potential director could stumble upon this blog and somehow be predisposed to not like me. Is that superstitious?

I wasn't sure about this audition as I was not at all familiar with the show. I had heard it was a bit "racy" and assumed that would mean kissing...and well...kissing fellows than my husband is a bridge I'm not too keen to cross. So when the audition notice was posted, I carefully reviewed the list of characters. There are several roles for women...most of them ideally a little older than I am, but only one that is definitely an "older" woman...so I figured there's a chance. Then I got my grubby little hands on a copy of the script so that I could review it and see what non-kissing options there might be. Then I debated about whether to let PF in on my plan. And I know I made the right choice.

On Saturday, PF and I cuddled up on her couch and read through my copy of the script, alternating every line. It's fun to read a script that way, because by the time we get through it, we both get to read as every character. For some reason we had a really hard time keeping Kansas (I'll throw in hints) in the Midwest as opposed to the mighty South. Southern is just so FUN. To our delight, we found that there is only one character doing any kissing and she is a whippersnapper, so there is absolutely no risk of my being offered that part. PF of course, could pass for the 18ish character (although she is mid-20s), but not me...thankfully?? She was on the fence about whether or not she wanted to audition, but there are a few "minor" female characters who are at times silly and giggly spinsterish friends and the possibility of the two of us maybe getting to play them was highly appealing. So we are both going to audition. Together.

I really want one of the parts. It is a fantastic role that involves a bit of latent insanity which I adore. There is also another Mother role...which I found to be startling similar to the last Mother role I played. If it means I get to perform, I'm all for typecasting...but man, the other role would sure be great.

I told a coworker today about how PF and I are going to this audition together. She asked, "Isn't that hard?" Meaning, competing with a dear friend for the same parts. My response was that, yes, it is hard, but it's so good for us. It helps us learn how to rejoice in each others successes and how to accept defeat gracefully. I had considered keeping this audition a secret from her, but I don't want to be that person...the person who hinders the realization of a friend's dream. Keeping an audition a secret will not make me any better an actress. And having worthy (and friendly) competition pushes us both to excel. It also keeps our vanity in check...or in the event that neither (or both) us us are cast...our vanity could skyrocket beyond control.

5 comments:

Mark Justin Josephs said...

love it... keep it up...

T. James Belich said...

Good luck Jessica!!! I'm sure you'll do great at auditions and I hope you get in, and then all the Greenies can come and see the show!

Anonymous said...

Yes! Can the two of you audition together for the "spinsterish friends"? Oh, to be a fly on the wall! Miss you!

Claudia said...

Break a leg, Jessica! Rooting for you and BF. When I was acting, I found actors to be the most giving people in the world - we always shared audition info with each other - even if it met - our friend got the part.

allie said...

Ooh, PF got promoted to BF! Lucky for her! I hope that you guys have FUN. Just enjoy pretending to be someone else for awhile :)

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing